Reaching a Goal

For a long time I would set goals for myself only to have most of them fell through and never get reached. Now not every goal I set fell flat, just the majority. For so long I have been aimless grabbing at one thing then another. The only consists in my life are my kids, my wife, and my words. Those three things have never let me down. 


Still inside yourself, you look for value. But, maybe the word I'm really looking for is validation. I know, I know, my family my legacy can give me that; and in a lot of ways they do. Still, deep inside yourself self you feel a need. Hell, I don't know, a need to be. Do you see what I'm saying? 


Anyway, come November I'll be doing something I never thought I would do. I'll be getting my Bachelors degree. It amazes me when I think how long that goal sat in the back of my mind. And now, it's so close I can almost taste it. 


As I've told you and others so many times I've learned so much more from this journey than just Business Systems Analysis. I've learned to concentrate, to focus, to ask why, to step out and lead, to make my opinion heard. So much more have I learned than to just research and study a systems performance. 


So now I'm sitting here a fifty year old rookie. But I hope my future employer doesn't see me that way. An old tired man with too much baggage. I hope they see me as a fresh new graduate ready to hit the ground running. With the extra bonus of having lived for a while, who can see through the bullshit and can tell you the truth about a situation and not line up and be another yes-man. But be an employee with a lot less baggage and a lot more value. 


Employers I am ready! You give me a chance and I'll show you someone who is worth every penny you throw my way. Someone who is up-to-date, who understands what hard work is, and who is loyal not just because of a paycheck (though they are great) but because that's how I was taught. 


So when you see my application scan across your screen, realize that if you don't think I qualify and your competitor does. Then who's the one not reaching their goals?   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living