Just Wondering, Cover Letter to Myself

As I sit here this morning, I begin to wonder after all the resumes I've filled out over the past few years, why have I only gotten a bit or two from the businesses. You see, before I started my school adventure a few years back, I laid out a plan for my career. That plan never really changed but once, moving from Telecommunications to Business Systems Analysis. That may be a considerable jump, but it was doable at the time, and I consider myself a better fit into BSA. 

That said, I realize the considerable amount of time it takes to break into system analysis. What I don't get, is considering the large amount of time I've taken to study the in's & out's of the field. Not to mention the extended research I have done on my own. Why is it so damn hard to crack this nut called "employment" in the BSA field. 

I mean I'm not some "pie-in-the-sky" dreamer,  I am a realist who prides himself on taking clear logical steps to reach a goal. Just ask any number of people I deal with, I am not a quitter or "shrinking violet". I get things done. But while I am not a quitter, I also know my limits and I do have some. 

What I often wonder is, is being aware of my limits holding me back? I would think realizing I can't "walk on water" would make me a great candidate. Because I have a clear idea of my strengths and weaknesses. I also have been trained to realize what I lack and how to seek those strengths from others. 

I have a sign on tacked to my wall behind my monitor that lists the differences between a boss and a leader. So of those differences are a boss says "I", when a leader says "we", and a boss gives "commands", while a leader "asks". 

So while most of my experience in BSA is from the classroom, I still have 30+ years of work experience in other fields that demand the same qualities as a systems analysis. Like exploring all opinions, listening, working out the process, clear presentation, critical thinking, and ethics. 

Getting some of my frustrations out in this post has made me feel a bit better about my situation. My only hope is, that someone else can look through the words "recent graduate" and realize the values and experience I can bring are the best of two-worlds. Meaning, I am fresh graduate, yes. But I also possess a great number of skills required other than just creating concept models or doing SWOT analysis.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze