Exhale & Let Go

FD Thornton 2017


I look out over the water as the lilies dance one the surface of the lake. In the distance I can hear the overflow spilling over the dam, like a subdued force of nature. Reflecting on the moment I ask myself, “What can be more peaceful then this?” Life can take us in all kinds of directions. 

I know that in my own life I’ve gone through several phases of living. I was bullied as a young child in school. Than became the class clown to shield the scars. Changed into a “happy-go-lucky” friend with no plans for tomorrow. Fell in love without knowing it, then ran off and married the first fool I met. Lived through infidelity and betrayal, and having to relearn to trust again. Found love again, but this time in the form of an Angel unaware. I became a Father, a provider, and an adult. Fell into an abyss, that I’m still crawling out of. Fulfilled lifelong dreams, nearly died, and became a Grandpa.

Yeah it can only take a few moments to reflect on a lifetime of actions. It’s funny how a few moments can turn a lifetime of memories into collage of emotion and regrets. The secret is learning how to let go. In life there are certain things you hang onto. Things like love, respect, loyalty, and joy. But far too often we focus on the negative, the secret is to let go of everything, both good and bad.

By doing that we can step into the moment we are living in now. Think about it, living on past emotions can often leave you regretting, which leads to pain. By focusing on today those past memories can be reshaped into new joys, new friendships, and new love. Don’t let thoughts of yesterday ruin today. Don’t worry that someone in your life has changed, because if the flame was there before it still burns now. Live for now, not yesterday or tomorrow. Breathe and reflect, yes. But then exhale and let go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze