Let The Hair Go With The Hide

Being from South Georgia and growing up in a charming antebellum city like Savannah. You grow up hearing phases my Northern and West Coast friends don't quite understand. I remember a number of years back I attended a technical school to learn the electrical trade. One of the extra courses we had to take other than wiring was Business English. 

During my whole time in that class, I always thought it a bit funny that this instructor was doing her best to make proper english speaking ladies and gentleman , out of a class full of redneck boys and girls. Who were there to only learn how to be beauticians, electricians, and welders, not lords of the manor.

Still it is important to try and have good diction when speaking at an executive level. But at the same time grandma would warn us to "never act above your raisin'." But, I do have one question, I'm I the only person out here that can't Google Voice to understand a word I say? Just wondering. 

I guess the thought I want to leave with everyone is, no matter the dialect or the diction that you use. Treat everyone with the degree of respect and kindness, you expect for yourself. Just because one person's English is not as clear as your own. Doesn't mean there ain't someone out there that can't understand you. A limited grasp of your native tongue is no sign of a lack of intelligence. Nor does it mean you should be suspect of their intentions. 

I have always been a firm believer that when at the core of each person, no matter what color, faith, or country. We each possess certain traits we all hold near, love of family, love of self, and love of life. And, if we decide to look beyond the physical or spiritual differences, common ground will be found. 

So when I say, "let the hair go with the hide", it means to cut down to the truth of the matter and see what's really going on. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze