Being More Aware


I picked the last head of cabbage out of the garden today. The rest were either too big or too rotten to use. I rinsed it off, cut it up, and set it in the fridge. Later I fried it for supper to make me a vegan dinner with some onion and garlic. I’m not vegan, but my meat consumption is a lot less and more selective than before. I get asked a lot about my weight loss (130 lbs. and going) and how I do it. The first this was not an overnight thing or magic pill. In fact, it’s been a 5-year process. I cut out as much processed foods and meats as I could. I stop taking in caffeine and limiting my sweets.
 
But I think the most important thing I learned to do is to eat mindfully. I am not a devout Buddhist, but due to my mental health issues, I follow many of their practices. One of the aspects of the living mindfully is becoming aware of your surroundings. Within that eating mindfully is one of those practices. I discovered that by eating slowly you appreciate the flavor of the food more. I also discovered that I started eating a lot less. 

At first I blamed my weight loss just on my ongoing digestive issues. But it can also be attributed to a poor diet and stress. So with some adjustments to what I should and should not eat and my ongoing mindfulness practice. I learned that my overeating was more mental than anything. I coped with my abuse and self-hatred with food, smoking, and a few other bad choices. But as I grow in my practice, I’m learning that overcoming anything begins with compassion, slowing down, and being more aware. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze