What We Want


Have you noticed more and more political ads popping up lately? Lord knows I have. I mean, whoever created the mute button on the TV remote deserves a Nobel Peace Prize. I suppose it wouldn’t bother me so much if the campaign season don’t last two years. But it is what it is, besides if it helps pay the salary of my local weatherperson than so be it.

We’ll promise people anything if it gets us your way. Rather it’s promising to not stay out too late when we hang out with the boys. Or promising a country we’ll drain the swamp if we get elected. We will say or do anything to get what we want. Listen I’m as guilty of this as anyone, just ask my wife. And while most of us make empty promises nearly every day, the person we are most often disappointing is ourselves.

I got a little friend that coaches individuals in achieve weight loss and other positive life goals. Her story is incredible, about how she overcame a life of crap to achieve her goals. But the thing she runs into the most are clients that promise themselves anything to achieve a goal. But never put in the work to achieve it. Listen it’s no “skin off her ass”, if they don’t do it, I’m sure she’s still getting paid. But think about who are they really disappointing the most? Yeah, you guessed it…themselves. 

Hey, if they were to put up a statue for under achievers and total screw ups, I’m your model. It wasn’t till I learned to forgive myself that I learned to reach my goals. Now are the goals I achieved what I thought they’d be? No. But they are what I needed them to be. You can live your life one of two ways. You can either make unrealistic promises to yourself and hate yourself later. Or you can show yourself some compassion and forgiveness, and take life one imperfect step at a time. The choice is yours.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze