House Cleaning


Our Little Country Home

In the house I grew up in every spring and fall we had house cleaning. By that I mean bedding got a good washing, mattresses got aired out, and cutter was picked up and discarded around the house. When I was really young it also meant getting our dose of clean out remedies like a spoonful of Castor Oil and Turpentine, yes Turpentine. (Please note from my research Turpentine is not a recommended oral home remedy, although Castor Oil still is.)

Despite forcing you to relive the God awful taste of those two products, the real point here is to talk about dust and clutter. The old home we live in is drafty to say the least, not as bad as the old Tarrytown home mind you (ask my kids), but drafty all the same. While it is a pain in the ass to heat and cool, it does allow fresh air to flow through the home. There’s something to be said about that; walking through most newer homes I’ve notice how stuffy they can be. 

Being the product of my mother’s heart, one of the few things I inherited from her was her overly sensitive nose. Chemical sprays and too much perfume are the enemies of my nose. While I have been known burn a scented candle or two and use Lysol by the gallon, nothing beats the smell of the flowers that bloom around the front porch. This morning was the first morning since early spring that we woke up with a chill in the air. While everyone got up moaning and groaning about “cold” it was; even though my head’s pounding from sinuses the crisp air is a refreshing change.

Maybe that’s the thing for me the feeling of a fresh start. There were practical reasons for our parents and grandparents to beat the rugs and put the mattresses out in the sun. It was to shake out all the dust and dirt that collected during the harder seasons of winter and summer. For us today, it may be wise for us to do the same thing. I’m not so much advocating dragging your high-priced mattress into the yard, what I’m saying is maybe it’s time to clean the dust and clutter within ourselves. 

Within my own life for a long time I allowed clutter and dust to collect in my own mind. That clutter while not too bad at first, over time accumulates into a large pile that we can’t get around. It also creates a barrier that keeps us from the tools we may need to get things done. Think of it like searching the house for favorite item that’s been buried in that pile of junk in the corner. By taking the time to clear away the clutter you free yourself of a lot of stress and confusion about where you are heading. So every so often take a moment and look at the clutter and dust in your mind. Then ask yourself, what do I really need out of this pile?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze