Does My Heart Good



Recently I got a note from a fan of my work telling me they appreciated my honesty and candor about my struggles with anxiety and mental health. It does my heart good to hear stories like that, of people who suffer like myself with the scepter of mental health issues; and how they too are working like to overcome them. Still it's funny how you can go through bouts of anxiety and stress, but with a little determination you can make it through the situation. But still after so many years of living with anxiety and panic I still have to remind myself to get up every day and how every now-and-then I still fail.

So many times when we fail to overcome our panic we tend to abuse ourselves. In my situation this has always led to more guilt, more anxiety, and more self-doubt in my abilities. But once you take the steps to love the person that you are, you can begin to make the changes needed to create a fuller, happier life. Now I’m not going to sit here and tell you any of this shit is easy. But with a little patience and the right encouragement you can go a long way.

  
This morning in fact I woke up very anxious and stressed about a simple get away my wife and I will be taking next week. Even though the trip is a short car drive away (75 miles one-way) the idea of leaving the security of our home for an extended period still frightens me. But I'm determined to make the trip and although I know I'll be anxious the whole way. I also know the closer I get to our destination the more relaxed I’ll feel, and by the end of the week I’m sure I’ll wish my stay was longer.

 
My point here is this, for those of us that live in a world where the simplest thing can cause panic and stress, remember this. No matter where you are right now, with a little determination and belief in yourself change will come. Even in the Bible the Good Lord can only do so much. It’s up to you to make the steps and except the gift. The same is true with reclaiming your life. First you have to realize the situation isn’t right, second have enough faith in yourself to change the situation, and then take the right steps to create change.

Listen none of this is rocket science or some great mystery. It’s simply knowing your current situation isn’t right, then having the courage to change the situation, then understanding that none of us are perfect. But here’s the kicker, in order to make this thing work you have to learn to forgive yourself.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze