Open Wound



As humans we don't usually take insult or criticism very well. Especially if we feel it's more mean spirited then simply tongue-in-cheek. I like to think that my ribbing as more out of admiration then just a downright insult. But I will admit the fun can sometimes get a little out of control. With that said I will admit there are those out there whose insults can cut me pretty deep. And even though some of those individuals are long gone, the words they said still left an open wound. 

None of us are without scars and for most it's those scars that define who we become. In my own life it could have been really easy for me to be bitter about how things turned out. From my observation some people I know and love turned out just that way. Fortunately for me I experienced enough kindness and love that the arrows of hate didn’t completely destroy the fire within me; leaving me with a small glimmer of optimism to shine through the black void of pain.

So from my perspective, when we decide to drop insult bombs to counter-attack another person’s argument it does nothing but reduce the disagreement to a school yard fight. This only decreases the value of everyone’s opinion, and causes the void that exists between the two sides to widen even farther. Now this isn't to say using words of flattery work any better. To me that reeks of dishonesty and I'd much rather be spoken to honestly than lied too with flowery words.

The point the point I’m making here is respect. Frankly, I don't agree with a lot of the words those in power have to say. But if they would come to the floor of debate and argue their points respectfully, I'd give their words a fighting chance. But like I said, words can hurt so in the public arena choose your words wisely. School yard bullying is best left in the school yard. As adults relying on such tactics only devalues what you see as a valuable point and never wins you any friends. But in order to get to that point you have to first see value in yourself.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze