All You Really Need

We just had dinner with our daughter and the grandbabies. Although I can’t really call them babies much longer, because they’ll soon be turning two and four. Going over there often brings back a ton of memories. Often I feel regret for not being able to give our children all they needed. But if you know my story, you know I was going through a rough patch with my mental health back then.

But I don’t want to make this about me and my struggles. I would rather talk about the strength and resiliency of family. In the past my parents and in-laws were quick with the advice on rising kids. And while some of it was good, a good portion was wishful thinking and dreaming of the past in rosy colors.

Each family goes through it’s own unique struggles. To try and pigeonhole a solution for everything would be ridiculous. Some families have to deal with divorce, while others struggle with abuse or addiction. At it’s core it all comes down to conviction and mutual respect. If there is love, a family can weather anything.
 
So I look at our grandbabies and I look at our daughter. What I see is a reflection of love and devotion that’s been handed down. None of us are perfect, and families come in all shapes and sizes. But when you do our best well, sometimes that’s all you really need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze