My Worth to You, Pt. 1

With the piece I wrote a few days ago about using the time we have, I got some good news last night that everything's settled with the school and now I'm in the process of becoming an official graduate. Now that that business has been resolved, two other goals can now that center stage to be completed.

First and foremost is the issue of finding employment were I and my employer are happy. In my resume and my postings at LinkedIn, I hope that I am showing the values that I can add to an employer. But as with most all things, I'll probably be tweaking and refining my profile from time to time. As any other job seeker well knows, there are so many resources out there that claim to have the answer to us finding employment. Personally, I still feel it's up to us to get our faces out there so that those who seek the right employee will see us. 

That being said, for those of us with what many consider unproven track records. We must rely on the skills we do have to get us into the door. Looking at myself, other than the training and refining I have received though school, I see things in my past experience that can make me a good fit in many employers arsenal. So over the next few post, I think I'll touch base on some of these experiences and skills.  

I think anyone with the time can pick up on some of the skills and experiences I currently have from my profile and resume. But, I've always felt my Achilles heel has been my lack of work experience in my chosen field. My reply to that though would be, just because I have a lack of "work" experience in "the field", doesn't necessarily mean a real lack of experience. You see, from what I have gathered, good observation skills, the ability to ask questions, a mind for solving puzzles, and the ability to look at things in a non-judgmental manner, are just some of the things one look's for in a systems analyst. 

In my past work experience as a security officer, I have faced many situations where I had to watch, ask, and observe situations and give neutral un-bias reports. Those are things I have been trained to do in the nearly 17 years I worked in the security field. Now one may say, "so why have you decided to leave that if you were in it so long?" My reply would be, as interesting and even rewarding as that work can be, I always knew I was capable of more. 

You see, for a very long time I've always settled for what I could get. Now that my personal obligations are a bit less, I felt that pushing myself to really see what I could really do is my current calling, if you will. You see, other than observation and critical thinking, I see my skills at putting my thoughts to paper as an asset to any on willing to give me the opportunity. It's a gift I have used off and on for most all my life. This is how I'm going to end part one of what I can bring to your company.  

Still as one last thought, a while back when beginning my journey to my degree, an adviser was mentioning the potential financial reward to completing my program. I think I floored him when I replied that money was not my main motivation. At this point in my life, it's the challenge of beginning again that makes this the most rewarding. To finally put to use the talents I have been given. To be rewarded not just with a paycheck, but with the satisfaction of putting out there to earn it.            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living