Just Business, But At What Cost

If you ever looked at my LinkedIn profile you'd know I've held a number sales positions in my work career. Most of these positions were commission based, which becomes a great motivator to "make the sale". While I believe most salespersons are really good moral individuals. The pressure of the sale can tempt even the best of people to abandon their business ethics. 

Over the past number of years I've attended school, a number of the courses I've taken have dealt in one form or another with the ethics of business. The university has wisely taken up the banner of stressing the need for renewed ethics education in the business world. I don't need me to tell you that over the past few decades, the business world has seemingly abandoned ethical behavior. While many businesses out there may dispute my statement, just the hint of immoral actions by many simply leave a "bad taste in the mouths" of consumers. 

Going back to "making the sale", there is a whole lot of pressure on businesses and salespeople to meet the goals set by stakeholders and bosses. But at what cost do you allow your moral compass to be misdirected? 

Each of us lives by one form of morality or another. We either live our lives according to accepted standards of moral ethics or we bend those rules to suit our own needs. Whatever category you fall into, those actions can follow you your entire career. So while the sales model of the business you're in may wink at bending the rules. What does your moral compass say to those actions? 

No one knows how hard times are better than you, so despite one's moral standing, bills come due and children need to be fed. I guess my best advice would be, do the research know if the business your working is on the up and up. That way without hesitation you can present your product and know with confidence, that what your offering is to the benefit of the client. 

You may never become a millionaire, but you'll sleep a lot better at night knowing you did what's right. And, that your reputation will continue to proceed you.    
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze