Lost Years

I few days ago, I caught myself thinking about the many years that have gone by since my high school graduation, my marriage, and the birth of our children. Thinking in the moment all that didn't happen yesterday, it's been 34 years since graduating, 27 years since I wed, and 23 years since the birth of our youngest child. That's a lot of water under the bridge. 

Thinking back on all that time, I can't help but think of all the hours I wasted. I know, you maybe thinking, we all waste time every now and again. Still for me it hits particularly hard, in that I look around me and all I see is dust. No wealth or equity build up, no foundations laid for future generations, no tangible objects standing to say, "I was here." 

To some what I'm saying rings true to your situation. Will anyone remember me in a generation? Or from the dust I have arose and to the dust I will return. I maybe getting a bit melodramatic, but you get the point. 

In our lifetime, what is important is that you take what you have and do what you can with it in this moment. This isn't to say, you don't plan for tomorrow. It simply means focus your senses on today and live this moment with all you have. It doesn't mean you have to do something incredible every single day. Just simple live aware. 

For too many days I just let moments slip past me, sometimes even wishing days away just to get to tomorrow. Leaving me to discover that what I was waiting for was no better that what I let slip away. 

So now as you read this, can you remember your commute this morning or even the moisture of your spouses lips as you kissed goodbye? Don't let the present moment slip away. Live each day with your full attention and don't let 30 years hang as a blur in your mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze