Noise

I recently read an interesting opinion piece in The New York Times by Teddy Wayne. The piece called Life is Streaming Past You, discussing our obsession with all things media. In his funny way (at least I thought it was funny) Wayne tells the story of America's seeming obsession with the many forms of media, which include the Internet, 24-hour news cycles, streaming movies and television shows in bulk, and other social media. 

From his own obsession to media, Wayne shows how it is taking away from us valuable time from life in general. He also notes how having so many choices in media content (as well as other things) can cripple us to making decisions about those choices. 

The thing I took away from the article was how today we allow ourselves to be sucked in by these various programs and broadcast. Now I will admit there are times I get sucked into the game. But much like how Wayne describes himself, after missing a few of the shows and movies I wanted to see. I discovered I was okay to miss that 24 hour Star Trek marathon after all. (Sorry, that was just an example, there was no Star Trek marathon recently, you didn't miss it).  

I guess the point for me is, while I do enjoy my news and certain daily "popcorn shows". I'm also learning that there's a lot of stuff it's not killing me to miss. My TV provider gives me the choice of 200+ channels of entertainment, yet taking the considerable amount of time it takes to just scan it's offerings. I usually end up switching to the music only channels and playing the Jazz Channel while reading my Kindle. 

Maybe we should think of it this way, when making choices of the things to entertain and/or inspire yourselves. Make sure to break up those choices and not just consumer one area of media. Then consider the amount of time you spend with those choices. And make time to socialize with real people face to face. 

We live in an ever more connected world, yet it seems we are even more disconnected then ever. Remember we are a social creature that requires social interaction. And while, looking at a screen may connect us, is it really connecting us? Or is it simply filling the room with noise. 
         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze