The Value of Empty

It's been almost two weeks since I was released from the hospital. So far I've been doing as the doctor said, staying put and not straining myself. That is quiet the change from my usual routine of running around and putting out fires for other people. Another thing that has slowed to a crawl is my creativity, in other words my writing. 

At first this didn't bother me too much because I had more pressing issues on my mind. But after a few weeks of staring at blank screens, you begin to wonder is the magic gone? Here is where I've resigned myself to not worrying about it. I mean enough creativity has dripped out to put down a few cute lines about my hospital adventures to satisfy me. And for now I am content at laying here and resting the ticker, as my daughter so eloquently put it, "quit trying to die."  

I suppose instead of wondering and worrying about where the magic has gone. My priority now should be improvement inwardly. Which is where I picked up on a key lesson I'm trying to learn. Sometimes inward reflection has nothing to do with looking inward at all. Hear me out, sometimes inward reflection is simply being. In other words just sitting still and listening to what your soul is telling you. 

We run around for years and years doing what amounts to no more than chasing our own tails. That we sometimes forget to listen to the most important voice within ourselves. The one that guides and warns us of danger or where we should be. This is the lesson I'm trying to learn. You see there is just so much our minds and bodies can take and for too long I pushed mine to it's limit. 

After allowing myself to push so much pressure on myself and not listening, the machine broke down. Even after a quarter mile run a drag racing crew will usually totally breakdown the racing engine. This is done for nothing else then to make sure no part has been stressed too much and might breakdown during the next quarter mile run. 

By now I'm sure you all get the point, that every so often if we should allow ourselves to empty out the tank. So we can then allow ourselves to be refilled and renewed with fresh, clean fuel. That over the long haul we can prevent major incidents like mine from totally shutting us down.

How this turned into a car metaphor who's to say, maybe it's a man thing? - FDT 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze