The Value Of Letting Go

These past few weeks have definitely given me time to reflect on things. One of the things that has come to my mind is the value of letting go. You see, I'm a bit of a control freak and I'm sure everyone in this house would agree. Being a control freak is a problem into itself, but one of the side effects it has on me is worry and anxiety. A combination that I'm sure led to my extended stay at Club Meadows Regional. (As a side note, the money I spent their could have been used on a two-week Caribbean vacation or a new truck. Just sayin'. )  

Back to letting go. As a husband, parent, project leader true leadership is leading by example. As a husband you want to be a good partner and friend. Someone who's willing to bend and compromise for the better of the relationship. As a parent it's your job to bring up your kids in a way that will show them the values you have, to hopefully prepare them for the realities of a sometimes crappy world. Finally as a project leader, a role I've grown comfortable being in, you try and install in each team member their value to the team. To draw the best out of them and to produce more leaders. 

While I hope that I've done a decent job at each of these, it doesn't stop the sometimes overwhelming pressure that I have felt. With the understanding that I'm far from perfect or even good at times. The pressure I've allowed myself to be placed under damn near killed me. So as I wonder around the house nearly bored to death doing my best to heed my doctor's advice. This whole adventure has allowed me the time to just chill. 

For most of you that might sound like the introduction to a great vacation. But surprisingly to me and a few others, it just brings on a whole new level of anxiety. Hear me out, in my battle to make things run smoothly, I usually make myself miserable. In other words instead of just "going with the flow", I'm usually digging out a new stream to guide things where I want them to go. For some that maybe fine, but for me the reward of doing well has a lasting side effect. Which I suppose leads me to the point of letting go. 

One of the surprising lessons I have been learning is that I didn't have to micro-manage my life. I've learned my special needs son can prepare his own breakfast and tea. That my oldest isn't as bad a driver as I thought she was (although, she could learn to not to tailgate.) That our second child (yes, you're still our child) is a great mother without me hovering over her. And that our youngest has a wonderful mind and heart, and he still makes me very proud. As for my partner in crime, I think most people don't realize I've learned more from her then she's ever learned from me. And that the future of my loved ones is going to be alright wherever I end up. 

The true value of letting go, is having confidence in yourself that you done the best you can.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze