When Talk Is Cheap

I’ve been writing this blog for about five years now. For most part I try to be encouraging, motivational, and optimistic with my post. But along with that, I’ve tried to remain as honest as I can, if for no other reason than to be true to myself. Recently I have been putting together a collection of past blog posts for a short novel I hope to publish soon on Kindle Books. The process has required me to review the some 400+ posts I have made over the years. At this point I am gone through about two years of posting that covers a lot of my adventures through school and job searching.

The thing that has stuck out most to me through this period was the optimism which I wrote. But when looking back at this and then looking at how things have turned out, I honestly feel I’ve cheated myself, my family, and the people who read the blog. I realize how silly that may sound, but I’ve always wanted to be authentic and true. You see over the years I’ve sat through a lot of brain storming, and strategy meetings, many of which developed key strategic plans and projects, only to fall apart in the detail and implementation phases.  

For me it raises the question, is talk cheap? On the surface my mind says, yes talk is cheap. Especially when going on and on about doing this or that without really doing anything about it. But when I scratch just below the surface, I discovered that while talk can be cheap, using those words to inspire later action can be valuable. Say for example I discuss a plan or idea to motivate myself or someone else in a given statement. Now after writing or reading that idea it may fall to the wayside. But those “worthless” words may still drive me or the reader on to the next great idea or strategy.


I suppose through all this blah, blah, blah you can say, words without action or motivation can be cheap. But if planted and nurtured words can take root and blossom into a beautiful dream. While not every plan or strategy I’ve hatched produced a golden egg. (More like egg on my face.) The act of creating those words can have lasting value you may never see. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze