Freestyle #470: Giving Thanks

For the last few days I've been checking social media and reading my friends and families posts about the Thanksgiving holiday. Most of the posts were very positive, some were funny and some reflective on the spirit of the holiday. Still I sit here in front of my computer screen not looking for any company or even planning a big feast. I don't want to sound like a Scrooge or seem bitter or even appear melancholy, it's just the way it is.

When I was a kid I suppose holidays excited like most every kid. As I got older I think it was the idea that our kids were excited that pumped me up for the holidays. But for the past decade or so holidays and other celebrations just don't do a thing for me. I would like to pinpoint some specific reason for my attitude, but honestly I can't. It could be the mental health issues I deal with, it could be genetics, or it could be the medications I take in order to function. Thinking back my Mom would simply tell me to pray my way through the situation. But if she realized just how many prayers I have thrown up over the years, then maybe the arrogance of her religious fervor wouldn't be so strong.

As I read over what I've already written I can see where my words seem bitter and contrite. But in reality I am reasonable happy the families healthy, I'm working on a couple of good book projects, and the sun came up yet again. Panic and the other health issues I deal with I think give me an interesting prospective on the real issues that surround all of us. That may sound a bit egotistical but hear me out. The old saying, "I had no shoes and complained, until I met a man who had no feet"; goes along way here. Empathy and gratitude should be our daily mantas. Setting aside a single day to give thanks is all well and good, but it isn't enough.

I'm truly grateful for everyday I am given, but I also wept for those that see nothing but pain and struggle. It is my hope that during this holiday season that everyone takes time to reflect on those around us with less. And not just bow up our shoulders and call them lazy or moochers for wanting what you have. Maybe if more of us were giving out compassion and not just jeers of cynicism, then maybe the world become the place of peace that Christ prayed it would be. Happy Thanksgiving.        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living