Of The Moment

As the title applies this particular piece was created on the spur-of-the-moment. Because sometimes the thing you're thinking right now is what really needs to be said. - FDT


WDR Big Band

It’s Sunday morning and we have a light fog still hanging over us. But it does give the view from my window a sorta dreamy glow. I finally got my jazz app to work on my computer, although none of the channels seem to catch my current mood. Either it’s too brassy, too loud, or just plain too chaotic; the only thing that doesn’t overwhelm my mind are the commercials. Maybe I should switch over to listening to classical when I’m working. While attending college the student-librarian at one particular school would play Kenny G; maybe that’s what’s missing more elevator music.

Anyway, I find myself staring at a list of pieces that need to be reworked. But to be honest those were thoughts from the past, things that were on my mind and where now “gone with the wind”. In order to be successful at anything you have to practice, that part I think I’ve gotten down. The thing is I find myself having a hard time figuring out what to keep and what to let go of. I think of something, I jot it down, and then later I decide how effective that particular thought might be to send. Sometimes I wonder if I’m trying too hard, that maybe more is less.

I suppose the thing I have to remember is that not every song an artist writes appeals to every fan. Nor those every snapshot or painting evokes the same emotion in each viewer. The point is to keep trying and to keep creating. This same philosophy can be applied to the work-a-day world, where not every idea or solution produces the desired result. It’s the fact that you are putting in the effort that should motivate you to keep going. Becoming stagnate and unmotivated is the “kiss of death” when it comes to living. Having a desire to at least push yourself a little is what makes life worth living.

Maybe the lesson I should take from my babbling here is keep creating, keep making something from the world around you. Not every word I write effects each person that reads it the same way. The point is I’m squeezing the juice out of my brain and heart to hopefully create a better place for someone else. Like a good piece of jazz, it’s the art of the moment that can create a better you.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze