Pressure

Over the past week, I've been involved in an interesting discussion with a young man and others about how pressure can affect personal talent. In my own life I know exactly what can happen when pressure is applied to talent.

You see, I have known for a very long time that I had the potential to do really well. The good Lord gave me a nice set of talents that despite myself, have served me well, although in a limited way. You see, despite whatever talents I possess at the same time life dealt me some unfortunate feelings and mindsets that have taken me some time to overcome. 

It was those mindsets that crippled me and my potential. It was those mindsets that I had to learn to defeat. If I told you it has been easy, I'd be a liar. If I told you I won all the battles, I again would be a liar. 

Over the past number of months, I've wanted to discuss this. But as many of you know, I'm trying to secure a more permanent job. And, speaking openly about one's shortcomings may not lead itself well to today's goal setting, win-at-all-cost, business world. In fact these statements may have knocked me out of the running for some jobs. But to be honest, I probably won't lost any sleep them.

All this said, right now I feel more competitive and goal-minded then ever. Because, one of the things that broke the back of my wrong mindset was meeting goals. Overcoming the fear of putting myself out there was another. Then learning to balance my life, by accepting that I have these talents and that I have these limits, knowing this gives me such clarity and focus. And, while knowing this may make some think, "Wouldn't that limit you goals?" I would say no, it actually gives me clearer prospective and more focus on what to learn. 

I guess the point to all this is, while talent can be affected by pressure. It doesn't mean it has to be affected forever. Once we realize we all have the means to overcome pressure. Not only do our talents flourish our lives can become more balanced.

I guess now your asking, "How do I change my mindset to relieve my pressure?" The only answer I can give is, each of us has to walk our own path, no ones path is the same. But the important thing is, that by taking that first step you are on your way.    
           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze