Allowing Myself to Be

In our lifetimes we wear so many different hats, it can get hard to tell the real you from the rest of the ensemble. Because sometimes we wear the hats for so long people forget who you are under them. As for myself, I wear the hat of husband, father, businessman, friend, and relative. I’ve worn these hats for so long, I’ve ended up forgetting who I am. So the topic of my thought today is rediscovering myself and allowing myself to be.

At first the title may sound like poor grammar (like that stop me from writing before). But at the beginning of this draft, I decided to look up the word be. What I found on dictionary.com was that be meant: to exist or live, to take place; happen; occur, to continue or remain as before. So in a way the title sounds right, because Am allowing myself to: exist, live, happen, occur, continue or remain, again.

Understand that this isn’t a call to discard the hats we wear. What I’m saying is don’t let the hat become you. You see, I may be my wife’s husband but, she didn’t marry a husband, she fell in love with me. Also I maybe the father to four nerve wrecking young adults but, I don’t love them just because I’m “Dad”. I love them because they are part of me. See where I’m going here?

Be who you are, not what you became. Love being a business person, but love it because of you. Do what you do because of the passion within you, not just because it’s expected, but because you’re driven to it. So many times we allow “us” to become “it” and when that happens “we” loss “ourselves”.


So look deep, rediscover what is within you that drives you. Sometimes hats are worn out of necessity, so ask yourself do I really like this hat? You know, you may discover you been wearing the wrong style after all.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living