More Faith

It’s easy to talk about fairness and compassion. What it means to be a good citizen of this country and the world in general. Well if that were the case, why does it seem to be so much turmoil and confusion in the land? A while back before the immigration situation exploded. A friend of mine was spouting off about how immigration was out of control and how all the Mexicans needed to be deported. Being that she’s one of the few people I’m completely honest with down here, I said. “But what about all the Mexicans you employ in the fields?” The reply she give back has never left my mind when she said, “Not my Mexicans.”

It’s funny how my problem doesn’t become your problem until it effects you. To be honest the only time we seem to apply compassion and understanding to a situation, is when it effects us. Right now another major storm is heading towards the southeast coast. I live 130 miles inland yet we are preparing evacuation centers in the area for those that will be pouring inland. It begs me to question, where were we when Maria was barreling through Puerto Rico?

I don’t want to sound like my usual cynical self, but can’t you see a pattern? We claim to be a nation of immigrants, the “Heinz 57 Brand” of the world. The mutts, if you will. Yet underneath we stir up this class and race warfare. We claim some morally superior high ground, yet put children in dog pens. If we are “the better angels”, then let’s start acting like it. Demand change, stop letting the clear minority of hatred and fear rule the land. Speak with your vote. Quit allowing fear to rule your minds and put more faith in your hearts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze