Optimism & Faith

Politics & Religion are two subjects I don't usually touch in my posts. It's not that I don't have a point of view, it's just that I find when speaking to groups of people; these two subjects can be very polarizing and blind some from the message your wanting to send. That said I wanted to touch on something that has really been a crawl under my skin for a long, long time.

First off I will admit I am a person of faith with a very strong belief system that I keep very private. For some right now that may be a problem, but that is not the subject at hand, just some background. I grew up in a home with a strong dominating religious ideal. An ideal that is shared by many in my family and by my old friends. I must admit that my belief system has grown apart from some of the truths that many of the people I know hold so dear. This a another fact I don't often share.

That said, I think of myself as an optimist. As I have achieved goals over the past number of years, I think that if I can change and grow, so can others and the world. Here is where my problem or better said, irritation comes in. When I get together with loved ones the subject of world problems or view usually comes into play. I like to speak in terms of if there is a problem we as humans can work to solve them. My loved ones on the other hand usually say lines like, "will it's just the end of the world, thank God Jesus is coming back real soon to get us out of here". For me, statements like that just rub me the wrong way. First they sound arrogant, second they sound lazy and escapist. I was brought up to understand that we are the stewards of this world not the tourist. Look at it like this, when my sink backs-up I don't stand there and pray for a new house, I fix the problem. 

To look at the world and give up is not a part of my belief system it is faith. That although I don't see the evidence, it doesn't mean it can't happen, if "I" take that first step. As an optimist and person of faith, don't pray for escape, pray for wisdom to change. 

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living