Finishing a Chapter

I remember when I used to read books (before school, I read a lot) and I remember how kinda' sad it was to finish one. Know what I mean? Well, I'm in my second week of my next to be last course I'll take at UoP. And, while I was finishing my personal assignment for the week, that thought come to my mind. That I'm really near the last chapter of what was a very long book. 

What do you do after winning a hard fought goal? Not some short term something, I mean something that was part of your life for 4 years. What will it be like to get up after that last Monday in class and not have discussion questions to answer or assignments to plan or complete? This school has been such a central part of my life since 2008, that it kinda' feels like watching my kids leave home again. Realizing nothing going to be the same, that a phase in your life is over. 

You know, I don't mean to make this sound sad. You would think that I'd be overjoyed, and counting the days till the end. I guess it's like smoking, you do it everyday for years then...you quit. But you know, you kinda' miss it. I guess I should now be thinking that finally I can put all my effort into job searching, instead of just portioning out my time between studying, writing papers, job searching, and that family thing. Now I go more time for family! Oh wait, my kids are in college now. 

Sometimes I think to myself, you know you could have done this a long time ago and be done with it by now. Instead I'm a very old college graduate. And, it's not like I have a career I am trying move along noooo, I decided to pursue a degree in a field I never worked in before. 

(For all you reading this and thinking, how stupid can this guy be? Where were you four years ago when I could of used your advice? Huh.)

So in a twisted kind of way, I'm a recent college graduate, who could also be a member of the AARP. Talk about playing both sides of the fence. Fresh and ready to take on the world, while getting a seniors discount at the pharmacy. (Sorry, that was funny.) 

Still, who said you had to live by the rules. Why at 46, did I have to be happy with the hand I was dealt. Who said I could not defy ever unwritten rule that said, "your too damn old to start over". Well screw your rules. I have the skills of a fresh, still too young to legally drink, college graduate. And, on top of that, can buy myself a beer without the fear of being carded. 

Plus not only do I have a brand new diploma, I have skills built from over 30 years of working in the real world fixing real problems. And although I may look, sound, and maybe smell 50, I have a mind and heart still burning to learn and be better than what I am. And so far, I proven that I can be better. 

So when my application comes across your scanner, hopefully you read this blog and realize that age is a number. A number that has no pre-set notions about who I am, I know I am entry-level candidate, just like everyone else. But you just remember, "just because there's snow on the roof, doesn't mean there's fire in the hearth". I'm ready.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze