What Morning Coffee Teaches

Just about every morning I get up grab a cup of coffee and head for the porch. My front porch doesn't face the sun as it comes up, but I can still see it's light shorten the shadows on my lawn. Monday though Friday I watch my neighbors rush off to work as the school bus drives by, with the noise of distant cars heading down the highway just two block over. But, while it's like this five days a week, on Saturday and Sunday it can be so quite, you hear the squirrels running along the cable line on the power poles. 

Either time I sit and watch the neighbors or squirrels quickly head off, simply sipping coffee and packing a smoke. When the coffees gone and my smoke is through I then head to work. You see a few months ago I would do my school work and my day was pretty much done. But lately more and more opportunities have been coming in to put in applications. About to the point where I'm spending way more time on them then my course work. 

You'd think, if you've read this blog, that I was pretty frustrated with job hunting, and yes I was. So I don't know if it's me or the cooler weather or companies themselves that are boosting my optimism. But you won't hear me complain. As my regulars already know, I lean to the optimist side. Not so much out of self-motivating myself, but out of a sense that I got no where but up to go. When you live in darkness long enough then that becomes reality. It's all you know. 

But when small pieces of light begin to peak through that darkness. Not all at once, but small pinholes each day. Then you allowing your sight to adjust to it. Do you see where I'm going? A lot of the times self-motivation can cause blindness, due to the overwhelming shock of the light. But to be able to sustain the presence of light, being introduced to it a little at a time offers you the best chance of handling it.

Each day after my first cup. I go in and do what has to be done. Those are my pinholes. Routine, consistency, and determination are what drives me. To just sit there and try to convince myself has never worked. By employing those three words routine, consistency, determination, I have broken a pattern. Is it perfect, no. But my eyes adjust each morning as I watch the sun come up. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze