Yes, I Still Dream

You know, as I approach the landmark birthday of 50. I look at other folks my age and wonder shouldn't I be in the middle of a career and have established myself by now. But then I laugh at myself and think, "hell, maybe I'm just going through my second childhood a little early". I say that because I feel very young and ready to start.

It is so absolutely crazy to be doing what I'm doing. To be someone my age learning a totally new field acting like a rookie graduate fighting for jobs like a 24 year old. But I love it, and I mean love it not because I'm "re-living" my youth. But because I get to do what I know I can do. It should also be noted that the situation that I see around me. A poor economy, limited job openings, and a general bleak attitude from everyone around, isn't going to deter me from my goal.  

If you see yourself in a situation like me, where you feel lost and see no more happy endings. Then I have some advice for you. When people say "age is just a number", well your damn straight it's true. My old bones tell me everyday I'm 49 2/3's. My saggy skin and graying hair tell me the same thing too. Maybe that's why I'm growing my hair out, because I'm proud of who I'am and the age I'am. So if a potential employers can't see beyond my age. Then maybe they should revisit history and listen to Dr. King when he said, "judge by the content of one's character...". Oh well, who needs to work with individuals with such "limited" minds anyway. 

I'm sure that will get me plenty of callbacks.

My point is, be who you are, do what you know you can do. Attack life with the energy of a two year-old. Even if you are 52. I may not be able to out run a 20 year old, but I sure as hell can out think one. And that's not to put down to young people, it's just that with the right attitude and some well worn maturity anyone can make it. 

So as the big 5-0 comes running (or at least walking fast), I can still dream.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze