Value

Whether we admit it or not, we all like to feel important. Unfortunately, some of the most important people in our lives are the ones that either "be little" us or never "pat" your on the back. For a long time , I have suffered this type of abuse, from loved ones and even myself.

It took me a long time to get to the point of self-worth that I'm even at today. But it's something that I work on and hammer at every time I get up. Being in the middle of this crappy economy doesn't help the situation either. With each "Dear, John" letter you get from a company, you feel less and less powerful and important.

Now, I don't have any instead karma answers or even great pearls of wisdom. All I can tell you is, having value and self-worth are important. At some level you have to be confident in who you are. In my darkest hours of worthlessness I always had the fact that my children were cared for and well-adjusted. That even if I thought of myself as valueless, they are a valuable gift I was trusted to care for.

So at the core of my "coming to terms" with myself and my value, I could look at them and said, "not bad". It was my kids that drove me to better myself, to prove I could do it. But be mindful, that I didn't burden my kids with the baggage that my entire worth was based on them. I simple realized that, if I can be trusted to raise children to adulthood. Then I must be valuable to someone.

I've discussed more times than I care to count on the importance of valuing yourself. Even to those who believe putting others ahead of themselves have to have value in themselves to do so. I guess the thing that concerns me are those who appear to only self-loath. I watch sadly as they abuse their self-esteem, abuse themselves physically. And I ask myself, "is there anything I can do?"

The only thing I can do is, just like with my kids. Be an example. Let them see that each today I want to improve myself. That I am worthy of all I am working for. I guess the most important thing you learn about value is, you can only improve your own. And allow yourself to be an example.         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze