New Year's Resolution

I couldn't sleep, so I got up and read the front page of my newspaper, then fixed myself a pot of coffee then went outside to light up my pipe. By then it was 4:30 am of the first day of the New Year. Considering the date and time, I was a little surprised by the amount of traffic I could hear coming from the highway nearby. Plus I'd never realized roosters crowed that early in the morning before sunrise. Yet here I was hearing all this activity on the first day of the New Year. 

This got me thinking back to the few New Year celebrations I have been to. They were mostly during my youth in the B.M. of my life (Before Marriage). Then I surprised myself by how many New Year celebrations I missed and was working on during my adult years in the A.M./A.C. of my life (After Marriage/After Children). 

I guess that is what has shaped my idea and attitude about New Year's. That it always felt "weird" if I wasn't working. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good party. It's just that for me celebrating New Year's meant doing something not just for myself, but for my family. Even if it meant not being with them and doing my job. 

I guess the point to this, if any, is here I sit in my rocker, waiting for the crack of dawn. Looking for the orange, reds, and purples of the morning sky to break. Thinking of the time to come, when I can once again do what I do best, during the New Year. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living