Home or Office?

For those of you that follow my blogs you know I work from home. For me it is a "no-brainier" simply because of the cost savings, lack of having to commute to other location, and the fact that I have a large enough home to have a separate office area. 

Working from home helps me, not only for the reasons mentioned above, but because of my special needs family members that I care for. Plus the lack of a corporate setting allows me to think, research, and analyze in a more relaxed setting. Giving my clients a much clearer unhurried picture of their situation. (It's much nicer to hear a bird singing, than to hear car alarms, or traffic, or to smell god knows what kinda perfume from the next cubical.) 

With that said, having these kinds of pluses in favor of working from home, it surprised me that the new CEO of Yahoo, Marissa Mayer, said that Yahoo workers were to start reporting back to their offices. It caught me a little by surprise simply because she came from Google. (Supposedly, the happiest place on earth to work?)

But after reading a CNN Opinion piece by Raymond Fisman, the situation for me got a little clearer. Basically the piece spoke about the positives to working together face-to-face. How meetings at the water cooler or dining hall can spark new and better ideas. When looking at a corporate setting these can be valid ideas. When thinking about Google, even they make corporate togetherness a positive thing. 

As for myself, a very small "one-man-show", I'll keep my little remote office and my singing little birds, for now. Doing my best to remember that when the door's closed, this is a business and in order to keep things going I need discipline, organization, and drive. If I don't, then does little birds will be much comfort when I'm driving into an office making money for someone else.  











  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze