Side Traced

Over the past week I have been side traced by a home project. I had to have some work done on my house that could not be ignored or put off. So over Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, I've had contractors in and out of my home. Contractors walking in and out, contractors turning the water and power off and on, and contractors finally repairing the problem. 

When I worked as a sub-contractor many moons ago, I didn't realize how distracting it is to have strangers parading through your house. When I worked on residences I pretty much stuck to my job just to get it done quickly. I didn't take time to "sight-see", so to speak. And, I'm sure our contractor was thinking the same thing. Still you can't help but think a lamp is out of place or heaven forbid a piece of paper lay on the floor. It truly felt like a home invasion. But thankfully now the jobs done and we are quite happy, to be alone. 

The reason I bring this up is to note that while the contractor was doing his job, I allowed myself to be distracted from my own work. Not only worrying about what he thought of my cleanliness, but little things like the saws and other construction noises that went on. It got me thinking about being in a regular office and the distractions there. 

I'm blessed in the fact that my office is at home. I have my own little room that serves as my get away from others in the house. Everyone knows that when Dad's office door it shut they have to knock first, then wait for the "come in" call. There are even some executives don't get that much courtesy. And, it's something that I have thought about if I do go back to a traditional job. Could I handle the noise or hustle of a traditional office. 

Maybe the point to all this is, do your best at whatever station your assigned to. Rather you work in a cube, have a glassed walled office (I really hate those, felt like I was on display), a corner executive, or a quite place with a view in the country (mine currently). Do your best to filter the distractions, because you never know, you maybe a distraction to them?        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze