Outside the Box?

It's Sunday morning (Happy Easter!) and I'm doing my usual Sunday thing reading the opinion sections of the Sunday papers. In The New York Times Sunday Review section I came across an interesting piece by Thomas Friedman titled, Need a Job? Invent It. Basically, the opinion piece is about changing our education system from prepping for college to prepping for innovation instead. A number of his thoughts and ideas are worth the reading and thinking about. 

My point for writing this because as some of you may know, I'm a recent college grad, trying refocus my career settings for the remainder of my work career. Much like the article mentions, I too had skills I developed over the years that needed discipline and training. Not so much skills like code writing or network routing (which I studied), but skills in asking questions, investigating, critical thinking, and innovation. Skills that I also see our young people truly needing. 

Now, I still think there's a place for knowledge-based education myself (as Friedman states), it's just that students should also be allowed to dream, to think, to change. Which I think is the goal of the piece. 

I guess for me, I need to learn how to translate those types of skills into relatable terms for prospective employers out there. I guess for now you prospective employers should understand, my skill-set includes an inquisitive mind that loves to be challenged. Plus don't let my lack of technology work experience fool you, I'm no fool. Being able to solve complicated technical problems involves more than lines of code. It involves asking the right questions and developing the right answers. To not just think outside the box. But to ask, do I really need a box?

My profile and information are at LinkedIn    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze