Have You Ever Wished?


Sometimes when I watch TV or look at the Internet I think to myself, “I wonder what it would be like to be pretty?” Now don’t take this as some self-deprecating idea of my total self. But after a few years, you tend to know who the pretty ones are.

Growing up an ugly duckling that never got on the swan train, you can usually end up with some pretty friends. So I got to see how this pretty thing worked. As a male you got to lead, not by asking, but by being picked. As a male, you never had a problem getting a date with the prettiest girl in school. Also as a male, because of your attractiveness, you had the confidence to do anything without the fear of being taunted forever for it.

Now some of my pretty friends would argue that life isn’t a bed of roses. They would have me believe being picked the leader comes with a lot of pressure. That having girls fall all over you make it difficult to find the one true love of your life; or that while they may have that winning smile, they were really shaking in their shoes making the winning touchdown, yet again.

Still just for ten minutes it would be nice to shine simply because I really look good.
 
When we are younger we put such pressures on ourselves to be “one of the beautiful ones”.  Even I kept up with the trends of the day in order to “fit in”. Now when I look at friends from years past I mostly see an aging group of young AARP’ers, discussing days go by on blogs and Facebook. Now there is nothing wrong with that, it’s all a part of maturing. But for some of us less noble-minded, it’s all about things evening-up. It’s nice to be able to laugh at ourselves, to realize that most of us have many common problems that aren't worth the time to cry about anymore.

So as the days grow shorter, don’t take yourself too seriously. Be grateful for what you were given, and don’t allow others to disadvantage the talent you have. At any age.           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living