What we are Built on

Realizing Mothers Day is this coming Sunday it got me thinking about my mom. The relationship we had was kinda' weird, you see my mom and me were pretty close in age. Which meant my mom was pretty young and very active in our lives. 

Growing up in the sixties & seventies as a kid, I grew up in a Wonder Years sorta' neighborhood. We didn't have the Internet or satellite HDTV or even twitter to keep us entertained. All I had was a neighborhood full of kids and a younger brother & sister to torture. We rode our bikes everywhere, we stayed outside from daylight till dark. And, when we got in trouble, the neighbors phone was way faster than a bicycle, let me tell you. 

Like I said, I grew in the Wonder Years. Having your mom work or having divorced parents was still really weird when I was growing up. My mom didn't go to work until we were all grown, so our school afternoons and summer days were spent making up games or bugging mom while she gossiped with the neighbor. Whose homes we all ran through like they were our own.     

I guess you're thinking right now, "How very Brady of you, what's your point?" The point is you are what you're built on. In other words, my mom, my family, my neighborhood, are what I'm built on. Now this isn't to say my foundation is any better than ours. It's simply saying this is what it is. 

So no matter rather you grew up with an Internet connection or just having electricity ran through your neighborhood. You are a product of all those memories and relationships. Which in a way, makes me a little sad for kids of the last thirty years. While they grew up at ease with gadgets, software, and social media. Being able to have all that one-on-one time with my mom and family for so long. I only wish they took the time they had and hold it dear. 

So as I closeout this sorta' mesh-up of a post remember. You can change things in your life even though you can't remake your past. And for those of us that now know, mom did what she could, so remember her Sunday.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living