Can You Say, Hypocrite?

For the four people that regularly follow my blog (Thanks, Mom), my last post dealt with the ever increasing amount of time we spend with our mobile devices. Staring blindly at our tiny screens, either commenting or goggling the latest celeb news. As for myself, I sat on my high horse confidently saying that would never happen to me. Mainly due to the fact that my mobile devices consisted of a laptop, and oh so, 1990's desktop. 

Well can you say hypocrite, because I recently purchased my first (yes, I said first) smartphone. Since the 1980's, I either used a pager (A what? Go ask your grandparents.) or a regular cellular phone. Over the last several years due my areas poor cellular reception, I've gone to using pay-as-you-go "burner phones" (ask your drug dealer). Now some of you may be saying, but aren't you a tech consultant or some thing? That's a yes, but I also think of all these devices as tools and not who I am. 

You see, I have enjoyed my smartphone so far, it let's me stay in touch with my other business tools. It has allowed me to not have carry as much stuff around. But it has also shined a light on the problem with being attached to your phone. As the article in my last post mentions, we are spending way too much time having virtual contact and not enough physical contact. 

For myself this particular phone is starting to annoy me a bit. I used to complain that wasn't able to get messages quickly enough sometimes, missing important notes. Well now my phone is connected with all my messages and email links. The only problem being, it notifies me of everything, and I mean everything. Hopefully, I'll have that situation corrected soon.

I guess the point here is while technology seems to be interconnecting our lives even more, some things are worth keeping low tech. Another thing is, as more and more apps are pulling more and more information from us, it may well be time to sit back and truly consider the compromises we are really making just to stay connected. So now that I've finally caught up with most of the other 50 year old's out there, this definitely isn't my last post on the subject.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze