Lost Moments

As some of you may know, I work in the business technology industry. I've ran my own business IT consulting firm since 2010. As a tech geek, analyst, and consultant, I spent a lot of time searching for ways to save clients money and time through technology. With that said, despite the twenty-plus years I've played and worked with technology. I don't own a smartphone, I still get by with a desktop and laptop computers. Besides, by the time I finish this piece smartphones are going to be as big as my laptop anyway.

The reason I'm mentioning any of this is because I just got through reading a piece by  Jenna Wortham for The New York Times. In it she brings up concerns with most of us keeping our heads buried in our smartphones and tablets. It's also safe to say, that you can include individuals like myself, that are constantly on the Internet with our computers in that same group. 

I will not sit here and transcribe word for word what Ms. Wortham is saying. But the jest of it is, we are spending more time with our technology then we are with our family and friends. This is a theme I've touched on myself every so often, but honestly still fail heed. It is so easy to allow ourselves to get caught up in this world we design and live in. Years ago technology only opened just so many windows to customization. But today, with social media and endless choices in apps, you can create your own virtual reality just as you want it. Telling you only the things you want to hear. 

My point in bringing this up isn't much different then Wortham's, in that we should not allow ourselves to get too caught up in our devices. Instead take a moment to look up and breathe and see what the real world around us really offers. You may be surprised.

Click here for a link to the article. 
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze