Laughing At My Limits

Earlier today I completed a quiz for my Statistics course, but sadly my score wasn’t the best. Not so long ago I may have beaten myself up for posting such a poor grade. Now I kinda look at it and laugh, yes laugh. I’m pretty sure that many of you may be wondering why I would do that. A lot of folks live by the motto of always doing your best and winning at all cost. But I’ve discovered sometimes I just can’t live by that ideal.

A long time ago, I realized that I am human, finite, and fallible. That despite what strengths I process, I also process just as many weaknesses and that the most important things is that’s okay. Too many times we run around creating this image of ourselves that have nothing to do with who we are. That it’s nothing more than a flimsy façade of who we think we are.   

You may think, “That’s all fine and well, but the world today is built on how the product is packaged. You need to get with the program, dude.” But as I have said many times before as John Lennon said so well, “I just had to let it go.”

One of the major problems in my life was trying to live up to the ideals I thought everyone was looking for; to be the perfect friend, to be the perfect son, to be the perfect employee, to be the perfect husband and father. What I learned is that I couldn’t be anything more than what I am. That beating myself up for not living up to those ideals was killing my soul.

There’s a lot more I could write on this subject, but for now, don’t let the image you have built destroy who you really are, human. Along those same lines, don’t let what you see in the mirror condemn you to being any less than what you can. I may freely admit to my faults, but that doesn’t limit me bettering myself.  


Don’t take yourself too seriously know your limits and put people around you to help with those limits. Who knows that fallible person you see in the mirror may turn out to be your best friend.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living