Fighting for the Common Good

As the political season begins to stir (and I remember what my grandma said about stirring a chamber pot) the political groupies come out to play. For a long time I had an opinion and for a long time, I kept that opinion to myself. In hindsight that looks like the way to go this political season as well. 

Between the doomsayers on the left and the doomsayers on the right, pretty much nothing is gonna make anybody happy, no matter which way the wind blows. Now I got nothing against anyone speaking their mind, just be mindful about who's property you're standing on while you do it. Respect is the key. 

I think of myself as a guy just living his life. Is life perfect? No. Can I deal with it till I can find a way to change it? Yes. It's all about balance. My wife, the beautiful, sweet, loving women she is, can sometimes irritate the living crap out of me. And I'm more than sure she can say the same. Still me have been married since 1987 with either side giving an inch and wanting to leave. Call us crazy, but I think that's a pretty good track record for two totally different individuals who share a bed. 

My point here is, we each are very different people with attractions that pulled us together. (Did I here someone say lust?) But despite our differences we have enough commonality between us to form a union and populate our little world. Do you see where I am going? 

For well over two hundred years the dream of a group of individuals was to create a union where individuals can breathe free. Express free thought and work toward a common good. Did these individuals agree on everything? No. But there was enough attraction to the ideal of freedom that these people sat aside differences and created our country. 

So as each of us blows their horn for this party or the other, let us all remember. Without the common good for all, can we live up to the goals those farmers, lawyers, soldiers, progressives, and ministers. I hope so.       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living