When a Handshake was a Handshake

Believe it or not, I'm always looking for the next big thing. Rather it's a more challenging job or simply an interesting book to stimulate my mind, I thrive on that stimulation. Recently, I read about a challenging position in Dublin so I applied. Usually it's going to be at least a few weeks before you hear back, if at all. But to my surprise it was over the course of a weekend when I got the Dear John email from the company. I wished I had old girlfriends and ex's that broke it off that politely. 

What happened to me than was a feeling of "being robbed". For whatever reason I take these things personally, but if I'm really honest, I know why I'm mad. It's because I'm aware of my skills and know what I can and can't do. Although I'm pretty sure my resume just didn't make it past the company's resume screener, it doesn't make me any less pissed. 

I suppose I could harp on back in the "good old days" when a handshake was a handshake. But really that was some 30 years ago, before the information age and the global economy. Today as technology erases job after job, we are sitting behind our PC's and smartphones dropping resumes like popcorn in a dark movie theater. Never knowing who's seat it ends up under, all the while grabbing another handful. 

I suppose saturation would get you places. If nothing else your making money for the ink and paper makers. There are sites on top of sites that give out advice or distribute your information to Lord know's who. But is that really the answer? 

My only unoriginal advice would be to present yourself confidently and professionally online. Remember the company your applying to doesn't know anymore about you than the what your resume and your online profile tells them. Those topless pics from Spring Break 2003 may win you likes from dirty old men at the library. But poor judgment calls can stay with you forever. 

So as much as I fondly look back at the days of big hair and ten pound cellphones, it is 2015. The days of having a job at one company till you retire went the way of those cellphones and GM's X-cars (look it up on Wikipedia). Today it's the what you have done for me lately mentality that drives the job market. How can your skills and experience translate into a viable commodity for the employer. 

I realize this sounds cold, but it's no less true. You are a product and you have to sell yourself. So as we all email and email our resume some more remember. Keep your skill set sharp, join a career forum or an association or two. Keep your face out there and remember your brand is important. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living