Blink, Blink, Blink

Over the past three days I’ve typed and posted so much on my class site, am seriously thinking of having a turn off that damn phone and computer day. Leaving myself with just my thoughts and giving my old brain a rest. That would be nice, but considering that my smartphone’s been blinking every few minutes with a new question or most answer email. All I can really do is sit quietly in my dark office and listen to some light classical music, till this damn phone blinks again.  

I sometimes wonder if we a surpassed ourselves when it comes to technology. By that I mean, has technology become too taxing for our minds to handle it? It doesn’t seem to be the case for this current generation. Maybe it’s not so much about age as it has to do with environment. By that I mean, for me living with a wiring problem that doesn’t tolerate a lot of stress already. Maybe I’m conditioned to the slow-paced environment I am in, so when stress does come I have a place to escape.

It kinda sounds to me like I’m putting a little too much thought into this conversation, which brings up an excellent point. Why do we feel the need to be so interconnected? In my youth my grandmother in Wayne County Georgia or another relative would write a letter or maybe call. Today we all seem to be joined at the hip by Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.

This isn’t to say I don’t want to hear from family. It’s just by sheer volume the information we have to absorb can be a bit too much, especially when you factor in work and social connections. I suppose the key to all things is balance. When to start, when to look, what to prioritize at the given moment, it can all get overwhelming.


I suppose the point here is to see what you’re doing at the given moment. And from that prioritize what needs to be done. But that’s easier said than done. As I type analysis reports and the door opens what an off-the-cuff question from my dear wife or my daughter ranting about her last date. Blink, blink, blink.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze