Of Which You Were Born


FD Thornton 2017

I just finished my evening walk and decided to take a shower before setting in for the night. It's funny because only a few decades ago after a long day I'd simply jump out of the shower and be on the phone looking for a date or picking up my best friend to head into town.

Looking like a pair of Miami Vice wanna-be’s (Don Johnson not Colin Farrell) we'd cruise down River Street with the cassette deck blaring. I'm so happy we didn't have social media back then, because none of us would have made it out alive. The stupid things we did were not so much different than what kids do today, but at least we didn't leave a trail of evidence behind.

Yeah those were fun times, but isn't that how it's supposed to be when you're young? So I lay here in my quiet bedroom the television tuned in to the Braves with my phone messaging an old friend. It seems like a lifetime ago when we roared the streets of Savannah. Smelling like too many Long Island ice teas and cheap pot.Thinking we were bulletproof when we were actually dumber than dirt. Plowing through our lives without a plan or a care.

I'd like to say I wished I'd done things different, but that ain't how it works. The best we can do is learn from the past and make better decisions tomorrow. But more importantly than that, don't let the person you are now stifel the light that lives within you. We were each born with a little light inside us. But over time the bright spark we once carried, can get trampled on or even put out by the cruelty and heartaches of life.

It's up to us to realize the pain you now feel is that child within us crying out to be heard. That without recognizing and acknowledging that pain, we can never find our peace. Like I said, the bodies aged, but the spirit remains bright. So if I can leave you with one thought it would be, that while time takes it's toll on us physically. Dare not allow circumstance to take away the light of which you were born.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze