Note to a Friend

Each morning when I get up the first place I go to is the website No More Panic. A website devoted to those of us that suffer from depression, anxiety, and panic. I usually read through the “Newbies” post and find those no one has replied to, just to give an encouraging word. This was my reply to one person who is a long-time sufferer, who questions if this illness is a life sentence. This is my reply.

I have suffered with anxiety, depression, and panic for 20 years. Much like yourself I have lost jobs due to my condition. At the moment I take ###### 40mg and 30mg of #### daily. But like yourself, I've taken various combinations, to finally settle on these two. I also practice meditation and mindfulness to counteract the effects of my illness.

I'm 55 years old and there are times when I get tired of this shit. There have even been moments when I quit medicating all together and for a time did okay. But you know what, panic has a way of finding your weak spots. So about five years ago, I had shallow my pride and drag myself back to the mental health clinic for help.

My friend, I'm not going to tell you this is a life sentence. No more than I'm going to say there's a cure. What I will say is get up each morning and do the best you can. Don't give up on living just because of anxiety and panic. You see, I am more than this mental illness. I am a husband, a father, a grandfather, and a friend. Is everyday perfect? HELL NO! But we have to learn to forgive our own shortcomings and try. That's all you can ask of yourself. Best to you on your continuing journey, I hope these words help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze