Doozy


Wow! That was a doozy. It’s not often that I have good panic attack anymore. But when I do, they’re hard to forget. A few moments ago, I woke up with a shout. My heart was a racing, I was short of breath, and I had to run to the bathroom. Now you may think that sounds like a heart attack. But if you get up and notice many of the symptoms starting to ease. In my experience it’s usually a classic panic attack. But still, that doesn’t make the experience any easier to deal with. 

I don’t think I need to tell you what brought on this latest little episode. The current state of world affairs, the sudden changes in routine, the onslaught of bad news; have all contributed to this rush of stressful emotion. Not to mention me running out of my anti-depressant medication a few days ago. But in this “pay-to-play” healthcare system we live under, it’s a wonder this doesn’t happen more often (insert very large eye roll). Listen, I’m no hero for overcoming mental health issues. If I were, I’d be as rich as Tim Robbins. I’m just a flawed, mental health freak the same as most. 

Listen all I can do is tell you to educate yourself about the coping mechanisms that can get you through panic attacks. Take slow deep breaths, carry a small paper bag with you to breathe into if you have to, I know I did. Talk to yourself, reassure yourself it’s not the end of the world. Be patient, give yourself a moment. Panic attacks usually pass quickly, though seldom comfortably. But it can get confusing if you have underlying issues such as heart disease. So be mindful of that and learn the difference. Hey, you will get through this, just have faith in yourself. Learn the signs and know you are not alone. Take that from a 21-year mental health vet like me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze