An Optimist on His Day-Off

I've had a lot of different jobs over my life. I've worked construction laying highways, build homes, made cabinets, laid brick and block, painted, printed, worked in a warehouse, ran a warehouse, purchasing agent, receiving clerk, quality control, grocerer, meat cutter, produce man, security guard, supervisor, corrections officer. I think you get the picture.


Now some of these jobs I liked, some I loved, most I hated. But hey, I got up each day and I worked. Well for nearly four years I've been back at school. For two of those years I've been laid-off. So I guess you could say, I'm ready to wear pants again and go back to work. I only got two problems in my way: 1. Someone to hire me. 2. Someone to hire me. 


You know, I've been laid-off more times than I care to count. Anyone who's worked construction knows that feeling, when the unemployment office people know you by first name and have your coffee ready. (Maybe not that.) But you get what I mean. So here I am nearly out of school with a Bachelor's degree and an Associate's degree already in my pocket. Yet I sit and fill out at least two applications a day with only one or two call backs in TWO YEARS!  


I'm not talking about all applications going to high-end management work or jobs that are out of my range. I'm talking Mickey D's, Wal Marty, even minimum wage security jobs. I only have 17 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN THAT. And what do I have NOTHING but 2 1/2 interviews in two years. 1/2 was the one where I showed as asked and no one know who I was or why I was there. 


This all makes me think one of two things. Either (A) I'm totally un-hire-able and I should go ahead and get me a shopping cart and quite bathing. (B) The US economy is so totally in the tank and I should go ahead and get me a shopping cart and quite bathing. 


I usually try and be optimistic but today I'm allowing myself a day off from optimism. Today I'm the very smelly guy wearing the "End of the World" sign. Doing a tap dance signing, "brother can you spare a dime". 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze