Rare Sighting

I was sitting on my front porch a few hours ago, when I saw not one but two rare sights. Bicycles. I know, it's amazing isn't it? It has been years since I've seen a bike on the street. You usually see them only on TV or in France or both. Even rarer still was the fact that the bike was being ridden by a kid! The other bike I saw was being ridden by a young women. Her bike was a standard old school beach-type bike with a basket and everything. For a moment I thought I'd smoked my pipe a little too much this morning and was having flashbacks to 1969.


Just seeing two different people rides bikes on the same day is pretty amazing. Considering our city has more four-wheeler's & golf carts then cars or people. For a minute it got me thinking about 1969 in a way. Because, during does years around Christmas & Birthdays that what we looked forward to, a new bike. Oh, a few adventurous teens might have gotten a mini-bike or go-cart, but for us younger ones it was a bicycle. 


Another thing, the fact that I was outside on a fairly warm day was probably a rare sight for those bike riders. I mean who steps out of their house anymore? Usually all you see outside is the occasional city worker or the man who cuts your grass. When I was a kid (my four love it when I start a statement with that) all we had was outside. Our house wasn't air conditioned, we only had three TV channels with nothing but game shows and soaps, & a Mom who said, "Go outside or clean your room!", enough said. 


We would spend hour after hour riding all over town. When you got thirsty, you either drank out of the garden hose or rode down the streets, collected Coke bottles, and cashed them in at the store for a ice cold soda and maybe some penny candy. (Kids, ask your grandparents what penny candy is.) 


Now don't get me wrong, a golf cart could be cool and I really LOVE my air conditioner. I'm just saying, every once-in-a-while step outside. You might be surprised by what you find.         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze