Growing Your Circle

I was going to sleep tonight and a thought for a post came to mind. But instead of getting up to jot it down I fell asleep. I guess that's the difference between me now and me 30 years ago. You see, 30 years ago I would get an idea for a poem or usually a song lick while I slept, then I'd pop up and write it down. Not anymore. 

I think I'm saying that to bring up the point of keeping relationships up with various types of people. What has that got to do with sleeping, poetry, or whatever your talking about? You may say. Well when I bring up various types of people, I mean of various ages.  

At my age, which I don't find very old now. I have a set of friends I grew up with that I can relate to problems and situations we all face at our age. And you know, that's a great thing to have someone who can really relate to whatever your going through. 

At this point I can also say I have my kids that I can relate to as young adults. Giving them advice (rather asked for or not) about what I went through at their ages. But who do I relate when it comes to other things in my life. Like school, starting a new career field, breaking into a new industry? 

Here is where friends from various age groups and positions come in. At this time I have a great relationship with a long distance friend who is young and has the world by the balls, that I can see. Yet, I empathize with this person very much on their journey and the insecurities they face as they feel all alone in this world sometimes. 

Then I have another long distance friend who is at another phase in their life. They have a young child to raise, and although I sure they are capable of raising the child. I all too well know the fear of messing up at parenting. And the incredible burden of keeping a loved one safe from harm. 

So you might think to yourself, what do you get from these two younger people? Well for one a ear to lean on that is objective, and isn't weighed down with baggage like myself. I get a fresh take on ideas I have no clue about. Then from their youth I get an enthusiasm that I can't really count on from my older friends. 

So as you go through the various stages and moods of your life. Surround yourself with people of all types, don't be afraid of new ideas or attitudes. There's a whole world of ideas and friendships out there if you willing.   

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living