Showing Support, While Laughing

As some of you may know, besides myself, I have kids in college. Two of which are just starting their Junior years. Well I have just a couple of weeks left in my final class of my bachelor's program. That said, when I listen to my underclassmen children moan and complain about the work load and study groups, outside I give a sympathetic ear, but on the inside I'm laughing my ass off. 

Is this because I understand the work involved or is it something more sinister? The inherent need to see underclassmen suffer just like I suffered. Or is it the fact that I enjoy watching my kids try to stand on their own, only to watch them fall on their behinds over and over again? 

Do you remember doing that? Watching your little ones pull-up on a chair or table and let go, only to hit the ground on their padded bottoms. Then sit for a moment only to try again. I want to think that that is the reason I laugh, and honestly, I think it is. As parents we want to see our children succeed. We understand all too well that in defeat and hard times, we pick ourselves up and try again. 

We as older people should understand that through struggle we learn the greatest lessons. So while I do give each of them advice about this or that in life and school. It's up to them to take from that struggle the lesson they need to learn. It troubles me sometimes to see a parent handing their children everything. They don't allow them to struggle. Now this isn't to say make them sleep with a rock as a pillow or make them work for everything they get.

To me, it simply means allowing them to learn and make mistakes on their own. Allow them to vent and be angry at you and life in general sometimes. Because if you keep the faith, they'll grab that table and try again. We can't live for them, they'll never appreciate life if you do.

So next time while you listen to them complain about that report they have to write by the next class, remember. Support on the outside, but laugh with joy on the inside. 



   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living