Why Ain't You Excited!

One thing that most people that know me can say is, I'm not that excitable. And, for whatever reason I've always been that way. So I guess when people found out it was my birthday yesterday, my 50 to be exact, I guess they assumed I'd be a little more...excited. 

You know it's not that I'm not impressed with the milestone, although it does remind me of my limited time to complete my goals. It's just that maybe when I see that nothing much has changed around me, my position in this world, others feelings toward me, my value to society. It makes me feel like, "OK, I'm here, now what?"

It's sorta' like when I went to an interview with a local businessman for a sales job. The person who interviewed me was to company owner, since his sales manager was out. I could see from my seat outside the office, he had already put down 2 cans of Redbull and was working on number 3. When I stepped in and sat down he was flushed red and shaking. After our introductions and a little about the position and how I'd do the job. I guess he didn't like my calm demeanor because he looked at me and asked, "Ain't you excited about this opportunity?" I replied, "Yes, I'm." All the while wondering, do I really want to work here? 

It reminded me of a job I had many years ago back home in Savannah. Where as a much younger fellow I worked for an alcoholic, who on good days was the best boss. But on bad days, could go into a fighting rage or take you to spend the day drinking with him at his favorite bar. Everyday was like pulling the arm on a slot machine, sometimes you lose, sometimes you win. 

You may wondering, should you be posting this type of message to people who may want to hire you? You know maybe I shouldn't, but then that cuts into the person that I am. I'm an honest no Bull Shit spreader when it comes to work, who gives an unbiased critique of the situation. So who would you rather have? A manure farmer or someone who'll try and get the job done. 

But back to my excitement, although I may not show too much of any degree of excitement during times of joy. The same can be said for when problems come up. Rather at home or work, I'm usually the calm during the storm. So as un-excitable as I may seem about my birthday and my graduation, don't mistake that for any lack of joy or determination to get things done.    
    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living