Death of the Perfectionist

One of the hardest things I had to let go of is my unending need to be a perfectionist. In my work, in my social life, in my personal life, I've worked to be a perfectionist. I've been doing it so long that I got into a nervous fit when things don't fall my way. And, it was this nervousness that at times has paralyzed me from doing anything.  

A lot of people out there may think perfectionism is a good thing. That pushing to better yourself and the challenge yourself can take one to new and better heights. But when it becomes a dominating force in your life where you find no self worth without it, then it becomes a problem. So when you get to this point what can you do?

For one you learn to let go. A while back I got caught up in putting a paper together for an Instructor. As usual in trying to make it perfect, I allowed myself to get lost. Thankfully, I did get the paper finished, although it was late. To be honest, I wasn't expecting to get a good grade, but to my surprise I received high praise from the Instructor on my work. You see the thing is I let go. 

So while I continue to work on assignments I continually have to remind myself I don't have to be a perfectionist to be accepted. I just have to continue to remind myself I am love. And, that outside expressions of honor are nothing next to the love and honor you receive from home. So when I say death of the perfectionist, it really means welcoming who I really am, flaws and all.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Focus on Living