All the Crayons in the Box

Although most Southerners are stereotyped as slow or close-minded, I think of myself as pretty open to all the people I've met. I grew up in the Southern port and tourist city of     Savannah, GA. So meeting individuals from various cultures and countries is nothing new. 

But ever since I started back to college in earnest, first at Brewton-Parker College and then the University of Phoenix, I have literally met and spoken with individuals from all over the world. The first thing that strikes me about each of these individuals is not the different cultural norms, or the accents, or even way they look or dress. It's once you peel away the outward differences, you noticed that we all hold a lot in common.  We all want to live, we all desire to work and/or be successful, we want to provide for those we love; and deep down the vast majority want to simply live in peace.

The reason I'm bringing this up is that recently I have been reminded of these facts through an introductory website called about.me. This site is a kind of icebreaker where you can give a short bio and link a number of your web pages on one page. Where those of similar interest can quickly access all your sites, including LinkedIn, Facebook, Blog Sites, etc... So if you're looking to network this is a good place to unify all your various links. 

Besides that, allowing ourselves to understand and learn about others globally is never a bad thing. What can be bad is allowing ourselves to be closed-minded and isolating ourselves to others ideas. As the world gets closer, how can learn about the other colors in the crayon box if we continue to remain color blind.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze