Teaching Old Dogs

Before I start my story, I wanted to ask a question. Has anyone out there had a great idea come to them, say in the middle of the night, and you forgot it by the time you got up? That happened to me last night. I thought of a great topic for this blog and by the time I got up, gone. So with that in mind, welcome to this blog.

If you follow my little post you may have figured out a few things. For one I "wing it" most of the time, writing about what I'm thinking about at the moment. Also, I am not a spring chicken, plus I really don't have a hidden agenda to what I do, other than maybe dropping a pearl of wisdom here or there for someone.  And lastly, I enjoy learning. For me, that's a funny statement considering the fact that I was pretty much an average student in my formative years, and I didn't really develop a passion for learning until much, much later. 

Recently I read an article someone posted to LinkedIn on an established doctor who after 30 years of practice, packed up, gave up the practice, and moved overseas to continue his education in another field. Now some of you may consider that a waste of his and the schools time. But at 62 years old, he has the potential to work in this new field at lest 15 to 20 years. 

This is where my point comes in. For a while now I've been having doubts as to me pursuing my educational dreams. When I started in my mid-40's it seemed a good idea, but with a few setbacks and the lagging economy, here I sit at 51 still working for a dream young men dream. Starting a career doing something I love and believe I'm very good at. So you can see where my doubts are coming from?

But with the encouragement of a few friends, the centering of my own thought process, and reading articles such as this one. I feel re-energized to continue my dreams. 

Another point occurred to me that if you are in a similar situation like myself. Don't allow what you see in front of you to dictate how the rest of your life is going to be lived. If I used what's in front and behind me to dictate where I was going, then I would have never taken part in this journey. 

While you my say to me, what's the pay-off been so far, what has all this extra work gotten you? My answer would have to be, everything. Just the adventures and people I've gotten to meet from all over the world in the past few years have been worth the time and sweat so far. You see, you'll never learn to fly unless you take off. And, each adventure you desire to take begins with one step. 

If your near as cynical as I am, then those words only bring you satirical laughter. But I have learned that cynicism and jealousy only give more of the same. To reach a goal be aware of the present, let go of the past, be open to the future. Then who knows, you may learn a new trick or two yourself.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fail-Safe

Moments You've Lived

Blowing Breeze